Friday, April 10, 2015

Two Easter Desserts


This Easter I got to host my first big holiday meal! We usually go over to other people's houses for holidays, often several different places in one day, so I was excited to stay at home and play hostess! I roasted a leg of lamb with garlic, rosemary, and thyme, and it just turned out gorgeous. Sadly, I didn't get any pictures of it, maybe next year! The big star of the show, and what I personally enjoy making the most, was the desserts. I went with some of my personal favorite flavors with the blueberry lemonies, (a brownie-like bar flavored with lemon and mixed with blueberries), and an "everyone will like it" crowd pleaser of dirt pudding made to look impressive by using a trifle dish. The white chocolate strawberry "carrots" growing out of it along with the candy eggs and flower decorations gave it a nice spring garden theme that went well with our Easter celebration.


Blueberry Lemonies
If you are a lemon lover like myself, adding these bars to your repertoire is a must. Everyone who tried them loved them and I already have requests to make them again, including from me to myself. It is really the glaze that makes it, adding a punch of fresh lemon flavor. And yes, fresh lemons are a must. The blueberries add a pop of vibrant color and flavor. I used berried that I picked at a local farm over the summer and froze. I promise, it will be love at first bite!
Ingredients:

3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon extract
1 3/4 cup flour
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
For the glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
zest of one lemon

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line an 8x8 pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside. 
2. In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the white chocolate and butter, about 1 minute on high power. 
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in a little of the white chocolate/butter mixture, and then gradually add the eggs into the big bowl with the rest of the while chocolate/butter mixture, whisking as you go. This is called tempering, and will keep the eggs from becoming scrambled.
4. Add the sugar, lemon juice, and extract. Stir until combined. 
5. Add the flour and stir until combined. 
6. In a separate bowl, mix the blueberries with a little flour. This will keep them from sinking. Fold them gently into the batter.  
7. Put batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for about 27 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean. While the bars bake, make the glaze. 
8. To make the glaze, mix the powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest together. 
9. When the bars come our of the oven, pour the glaze over the top. Use a spatula to spread if necessary. Let the bars cool in the pan for 2-3 hours before slicing so the glaze can set up. 
Enjoy!


Dirt Pudding Trifle

Making a trifle is great for any special occasion. It's super easy and super impressive all at the same time! Just pick whatever things you want to layer; cake, fruit, cream, etc, and voila! It's done! I got this trifle dish at my local supermarket for less than seven dollars. My son loves chocolate, so I decided to go with a dirt pudding trifle, complete with gummy worms and strawberry "carrots!" Adding the elements of homemade brownies and fresh whipped cream made this dirt pudding the best I've ever tasted. Here is what I used for my layers:

Brownies
Instant Chocolate Pudding
Gummy Worms
Whipped Cream
Crushed Oreo Cookies
White chocolate (colored orange) covered strawberries
Frosting (colored green)
Candy eggs

Layer and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...