Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Katie's Rhubarb Cake

Rhubarb has to be one of my favorite foods of summer. My dad has enough of it growing in his backyard to keep us and the rest of the neighborhood well supplied throughout the whole season. One of my favorite things to do with it is make this cake that comes from our family cookbook. One of my uncles on my dad's side compiled all our favorite family recipes and the family stories that go along with them into a cookbook that is almost 300 pages long. It is one of my most prized possessions and my go to cookbook. Katie is my great aunt and she has several entries in this record of our family's culinary history. If there is a potluck to go to during the summer, you can bet that I'm going to bring this cake, and that is precisely why I've made it today!


Katie's Rhubarb Cake


4-5 cups of cut up rhubarb (approx. 10-15 stalks)
3 oz package of strawberry or raspberry jello
1 cup sugar
1 box yellow cake mix + ingredients to make cake


Put rhubarb pieces into a buttered 9x13 pan. Pour the package of jello and the sugar over the rhubarb pieces.

Prepare a box of yellow cake mix and pour over the rhubarb mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to1 hour. Let cool and serve with whipped cream. 

Love rhubarb? This post is linked up at Carole's Chatter: Food on Friday: Rhubarb. There are over 110 rhubarb recipes there!



1 comment:

  1. Sarah, thanks for adding this to the rhubarb collection. Hope to see you again soon. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...