Thursday, June 13, 2013

St. Anthony's Lost and Found Fish Cupcakes

Today is the feast of St. Anthony of Padua, patron of finding lost things. If you are familiar with this saint you may have uttered these words before; "St. Anthony, please come round. My _________ is/are lost and can't be found!"

One of the legends about St. Anthony says that he was such an eloquent preacher that even the fish would stick their heads out of the water to listen to him. I combined St. Anthony's most well known patronage with this story to come up with these adorable cupcakes. On the tray they are arranged to look like they are listening to St. Anthony, and on the inside there is a little lost fish to find when you bite into them!  I gave every cupcake a surprise inside, but you could just choose a few of them and offer a simple prize to whoever finds the lost fish.

St. Anthony Cupcakes

Supplies:
-cupcakes
-blue frosting (see below)
-candy fish - I used some from the bulk section labeled "Juju Fish." Swedish fish would work well too.
-Picture of St. Anthony 

I started by baking cupcakes using a white cake mix. Before you put them in the oven stick a Juju fish into each or some of the cupcakes. After they cooled I made some simple cream cheese frosting, colored it blue and spread this over the cupcakes. The Juju fish are already so sweet, I thought a regular buttercream would be overbearing. Then I placed two Juju fish on top of each cupcake.

To create the display I printed a picture of St. Anthony onto some cardstock and taped it to the edge my serving tray. I left some extra paper on the side when I cut it out so I could fold it back for stability. I love the way these turned out!

To learn more about St. Anthony, click here. 

Simple Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8 oz package reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract 

If you leave your cream cheese out to soften, you don't even need a mixer to put it together, just a spoon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...