Thursday, May 30, 2013

With a side of Joan of Arc

Happy feast of St. Joan of Arc!

 I first became enamored with this young French saint in middle school when I happened to pick up the novel Young Joan by Barbara Dana at my school library. This book explores the life of Joan of Arc before she left her home to lead the French army. This is a great read for the upper elementary/middle school level.

My admiration was solidified in high school when I read the book Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain. You heard me right, Mark Twain. Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, that Mark Twain. Which was why I was hesitant about the book when I found it. I had had to read
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for school previously and was not too fond of it, but I really wanted to read a novel about Joan of Arc, so I checked it out of the library. I now list it as my favorite book. This relatively unknown book is what Mark Twain considered his best work.

"I like Joan of Arc best of all my books; and it is the best; I know it perfectly well. And besides, it furnished me seven times the pleasure afforded me by any of the others; twelve years of preparation, and two years of writing. The others needed no preparation and got none." --Mark Twain


For dinner tonight I had a little fun with some diner slang which calls a side of French fries, a side of "Joan of Arc." (Do you get it?)  While we were making them I talked to my son about Joan of Arc in terms appropriate for his age. We mostly talked about how its important to listen to God, even when it might be a little scary, because then great things can happen. Like leading an army even when everybody said you couldn't!

 When making the fries I tried to wing it using a simple, cut, toss in olive oil and salt, then bake method,but I have to admit that they didn't turn out as well I hoped. Fine enough to still eat and not waste, but not really blog recipe worthy. So I'm calling out to all of you out  there who are kind enough to read my blog. Help! What are your favorite fry recipes and/or techniques? You don't have to limit your suggestions to potato fries either. If you have a favorite recipe for sweet potato fries, eggplant fries, zucchini fries, or whatever else, I would love to hear about it!

To learn more about St. Joan of Arc, click here.

Prayer to Saint Joan of Arc for Faith
In the face of your enemies, in the face of harassment, ridicule, and doubt, you held firm in your faith. Even in your abandonment, alone and without friends, you held firm in your faith. Even as you faced your own mortality, you held firm in your faith. I pray that I may be as bold in my beliefs as you, St. Joan. I ask that you ride alongside me in my own battles. Help me be mindful that what is worthwhile can be won when I persist. Help me hold firm in my faith. Help me believe in my ability to act well and wisely. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...