Saturday, April 20, 2013

Homemade Sidewalk Chalk

My son's toes and hand as he plays with last summer's freshly made chalk!
Last summer we discovered that making your own sidewalk chalk is really easy and really fun! Here in Michigan it is finally getting warm enough to make some more. Well, at least it was for a little bit, now we've got flooding and snow showers, but I'm hoping it won't last long! For those of you that live somewhere where the weather is little less crazy I'd thought I'd share this project now since it is, apparently, spring.

Supplies:
-Plaster of Paris
-Water
-Food Coloring
-Mixing containers and stirring device - I recommend something disposable
-Silicone mold - We used a star shaped ice cube tray from the dollar tree and a mini cake pan with flower shapes I got as a gift.

1.Mix the plaster of paris with water until you get a pudding like consistency.

2.Mix in your desired color (skip this step if you want white)

3.Pour into mold and leave to dry about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. If your mixture isn't too thin and you leave it out in the sun it can take less time than that!

4.Unmold, (they pop right out!), and start creating sidewalk art!

Bonus: The molds are really easy to clean!

(I seem to have used a lot of exclamation points in this post. Who can blame me, making chalk is exciting!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...